US

Rust weapons supervisor appeals against fatal film set shooting conviction

The weapons supervisor for the Western film Rust is appealing against her conviction for involuntary manslaughter over the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on set, according to court documents.

Hannah Gutierrez was jailed in April after being found guilty by jurors following a trial in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in the US.

She was in charge of weapons during the production of the film in October 2021, when a Colt 45 revolver fired by actor and co-producer Alec Baldwin went off during a rehearsal.

Alec Baldwin
Image:
Alec Baldwin, pictured on the Rust set, faces a separate trial

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins died, while director Joel Souza was injured.

A defence lawyer for Gutierrez, who is serving an 18-month sentence at a prison for women in New Mexico, filed a shortly worded appeal notice on Monday.

Her legal team has 30 days to submit detailed arguments. They previously requested a new trial following the verdict.

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed is found guilty of involuntary manslaughter of Halyna Hutchins
Image:
Hannah Gutierrez, pictured during her trial, is appealing against her conviction

Gutierrez’s trial was told she unwittingly brought live ammunition to the set, where it was expressly prohibited, and failed to follow basic gun safety protocols.

During her sentencing hearing, she told the court she had tried to do her best while working on the production, despite not having “proper time, resources and staffing”.

Read more:
What the conviction means for Alec Baldwin
Prosecutors say Baldwin had ‘no control’ of emotions on set

Halyna Hutchins.
Pic:Shutterstock
Image:
Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins died after the gun went off. Pic: Shutterstock

Alec Baldwin case latest

Baldwin, who was a producer for the film as well as its star, has also pleaded not guilty to a charge of involuntary manslaughter.

He maintains he pulled back the gun’s hammer – but not the trigger – before it fired, and is set to face trial in July. He denies any wrongdoing.

The 66-year-old was originally charged in January 2023, more than a year after the shooting, but those charges were dropped a few months later. He was charged again in January this year.

His legal team has filed a motion calling for the charges to be dropped. Prosecutors responded with a 32-page document claiming that footage of the star on set shows he had “absolutely no control of his own emotions” and “no concern for how his conduct” affected those around him.


Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Assistant director David Halls, who also faced charges, entered a plea bargain for negligent use of a deadly weapon last year, receiving a six-month suspended sentence.

Filming of Rust resumed last year in Montana – with Baldwin reprising his role as the main character – after an agreement made Ms Hutchins’s widower an executive producer.

Articles You May Like

Save $1,098 on the EGO Power+ Z6 riding mower with extra batteries, Aventon’s pink Level.2 e-bike, VEVOR EV charger, more
Denmark’s Orsted wins $680 million JPMorgan backing for U.S. solar and battery projects
Biden to release 1 million barrels of gasoline to reduce prices at the pump ahead of July 4
Economy to take centre stage after big-name Tory MPs quit
Nicki Minaj announces new Manchester gig after arrest forced her to cancel show