The families of the three victims killed by Valdo Calocane in Nottingham have spoken out after a judge ordered he be detained at a high-security hospital “very probably” for the rest of his life.
The mother of 19-year-old Barnaby Webber told Nottinghamshire Police “you have blood on your hands”, as she spoke outside the court on Thursday.
In a series of missed opportunities to prevent the killings, Calocane had previously been detained in hospital four times, and a warrant for his arrest had been issued months before his deadly rampage.
Emma Webber added: “True justice has not been served today. We as a devastated family have been let down by multiple agency failings and ineffectiveness.”
James Coates, son of victim Ian Coates, said the killer had “got away with murder”.
Father of Grace O’Malley-Kumar, Dr Sanjoy Kumar, described the last few days as “absolute hell”.
Ms Webber said the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) “did not consult us as has been reported – instead we have been rushed, hastened and railroaded”.
“We were presented with a fait accompli that the decision had been made to accept manslaughter charges,” she said.
“At no point during the previous five-and-a-half-months were we given any indication that this could conclude in anything other than murder.
“We trusted in our system, foolishly as it turns out.
“We do not dispute that the murderer is mentally unwell and has been for a number of years.
“However the pre-mediated planning, the collection of lethal weapons, hiding in the shadows and brutality of the attacks are that of an individual who knew exactly what he was doing. He knew entirely that it was wrong but he did it anyway.”
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.
Please refresh the page for the fullest version.